From top to bottom, the ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 3060 has been designed to push performance boundaries. A fresh design and more metal surrounds a grouping of Axial-tech fans that leverage a new rotation scheme. Below the blades, a larger, more impressive heatsink is ready for the most demanding thermal loads. The PCB has some new tricks up its sleeves, and even the backplate has received some performance-boosting changes. For gamers who want to get the most out of the NVIDIA Ampere architecture, the latest addition to the ROG Strix stable delivers in every way.
To get heat up off the die and into the heatsink array to benefit from the new fan design requires special attention. We use a manufacturing process that polishes the surface of the heat spreader to improve smoothness at the microscopic level. The extra flatness allows for better contact with the die for improved thermal transfer.
In addition to under-the-hood design changes, the ROG Strix features a new face with metal accents that mirror the design aesthetic of ROG and ROG Strix motherboards. Textured accents in a greyscale colourway blend seamlessly into subtle builds or make a striking impact while the card is vertically mounted and lit by chassis LEDs.
Flipping the card around reveals more design improvements. For enhanced heat dissipation, a wide backplate vent and shortened PCB allow hot air to escape towards chassis exhaust fans instead of being recycled back into the cooler. The I/O bracket is made from stainless steel to protect ports and provide a more secure mount. A conveniently placed Dual BIOS switch allows quick selection between “performance” and “quiet” mode for basic customisation of the card’s default behaviour without software. To top it off, an ROG logo with addressable RGB backlighting adds flair.
A new addressable RGB element lines the front edge of the card and can be customised with Armoury Crate software to sync lighting and effects with other ROG components. To fulfil the power demands of the GeForce RTX 3060, an 8-pin power connector is present, along with an onboard circuit that monitors PSU rail voltage. The circuit is fast enough to catch any transients that result in the rail voltage dropping too low. If that happens, a red LED will light up to indicate a power supply issue.
- NVIDIA Ampere Streaming Multiprocessors: The building blocks for the world’s fastest, most efficient GPUs, the all-new Ampere SM brings 2X the FP32 throughput and improved power efficiency.
- 2nd Generation RT Cores: Experience 2X the throughput of 1st gen RT Cores, plus concurrent RT and shading for a whole new level of ray tracing performance.
- 3rd Generation Tensor Cores: Get up to 2X the throughput with structural sparsity and advanced AI algorithms such as DLSS. These cores deliver a massive boost in game performance and all-new AI capabilities.
- Axial-tech fan design has been newly tuned with a reversed central fan direction for less turbulence.
- 2.7-slot design expands cooling surface area to make the most of the three powerful Axial-tech fans.
- Super Alloy Power II includes premium alloy chokes, solid polymer capacitors, and an array of high-current power stages.
- GPU Tweak II provides intuitive performance tweaking, thermal controls, and system monitoring.